Ready to get started on your own blog? Here’s how.
Choose your blog’s topic and name.
Now that you have your blogging software and a theme, it’s time to decide what blog topic you want to write about. It should be something that interests you or is relevant to your business.
For example, if you’re starting a blog about writing fiction, then the best topics would be:
- Writing tips for beginners
- How to get published by literary agents (or self-publish)
- The different types of novels and how they differ from one another
Buy your domain and set up web hosting for your blog.
Buying your domain name and setting up web hosting for your blog can be done in a few minutes. First, go to a website like Namecheap and buy the domain of your choice (I bought the domain “thereturntomoney.com”). Then, go to Bluehost or SiteGround and sign up for web hosting.
Once you have both of these items in place, it’s time to write some content!
Install WordPress and choose a theme for your blog.
To start your blog, you’ll need to download WordPress and select a theme. Once you’ve installed WordPress and chosen a theme, it’s time to add some content! Make sure that your site is mobile-friendly so that it’s easy for people to navigate while they’re on their phones. Last but not least, don’t forget social sharing buttons so people can share what they like with friends through Facebook and Twitter!
Pick the right plugins for your blog.
Plugins are a critical component of any blog, and they can help you get your site up and running faster than ever before. While there are many types of plugins out there, let’s focus on the ones that are most relevant to new bloggers:
- Search engine optimization (SEO) plugins
- Social media sharing buttons
- Contact form plugins
Create the pages you need for your blog.
- Create a welcome page for new readers. This will be your first impression, so make sure it’s as welcoming and informative as possible.
- Create an about me page to share more information about yourself or your business. This can include an introduction to your blog, what you’re passionate about in life, where you’re from, etc.
- Do the same thing with a contact page that includes any ways people can reach out to you (email address, phone number). This is also where people will go if they want to report errors on your site or ask questions about something specific on one of your posts—so make sure it includes clear instructions on how they should go about contacting you!
Add useful blogging tools and widgets to your site.
You should also add useful blogging tools and widgets to your site. Widgets can help you to display content, add links and make your site look more professional. For example, a social media widget allows your readers to share their favorite articles with their friends on Facebook or Twitter. A commenting system allows people to comment on articles without signing up for an account with you first. Adding these things makes it easier for people to participate in the conversation around your blog posts!
Put up content on your blog to attract readers.
Your content is the backbone of your blog. You need a lot of it to attract readers, but you also need to make sure that it’s high-quality. It’s a good idea to spend some time thinking about what kind of information would be most useful for your audience—it can be anything from recipes to product reviews or travel tips.
Once you’ve chosen a topic, start creating! Make sure that the information you present is accurate and up-to-date so that people will trust what they read on your blog. Once you’ve written something, remember: don’t just put it out there without giving readers an opportunity to share their opinion too! Include social media buttons at the bottom of each post so people can easily share them with their friends and followers.
Your content should also include photos or videos where appropriate; this helps illustrate what you’re talking about in more detail than simply words alone can do on their own (and makes reading more fun).
Congratulations! Your blog is up and running. Now, it’s time to get started with content creation. Remember that the more useful information you put up on your site, the more readers will find their way to your blog. You can also use tools like social media and email marketing campaigns to attract new visitors who might not know about your site yet.