If you’ve ever wanted to start a blog, keep a journal, or even just have your own email address, you may have been tempted to host it on your desktop computer. In fact, many people do this! But is it really OK? And should you do it? The answer: no. You shouldn’t host your website on your own device. Here’s why:
Why you can host a website on your own device
You can host a website on your own device! It’s free, easy and you can have your own domain name. You can control it as well. So why not?
Why you shouldn’t host your website on your own device
- You’ll need to update your software.
- You’ll need to maintain your server.
- You’ll need to keep your computer secure.
- You’ll have to pay for electricity and internet access.
- You will have to pay for a domain name (unless you’re lucky enough for one of those free ones).
And finally, if you want the website hosted anywhere other than your personal device, then that’s going to cost some money too—hosting can be pretty pricey!
What is a dedicated server?
A dedicated server is a computer that is dedicated to running your website. It can be used for web hosting, email, web applications and other purposes. You control the hardware and software of the server and can install any software you want on it. You can set up any type of network you want using external devices such as routers or switches with a dedicated server.
Just don’t do it. It’s not sustainable or reliable.
The short answer is no. You shouldn’t host your website on your personal computer, because it’s not sustainable or reliable.
- Your computer is not powerful enough to handle the traffic.
- It’s not reliable.
- You will have a hard time finding developers to help you with your site if it goes down on a regular basis (which it will).
- You won’t be able to afford it.
- You will probably require a static IP at some point (Can be Costly)
- Your ISP may terminate you for doing this as it is against the Terms & Conditions
There are lots of reasons why you might want to host your own website, but it’s not a good idea. If you really need to have your own site, then just get a shared server or use a service like WordPress.com or Blogger.com instead of trying to do it all yourself. They’re easy to use and they’ll give you everything that you need without any headaches (or worse).